To hold a fireworks display, you must get a permit from WorkSafe Tasmania.
- Unless you are a pyrotechnician, you can only apply for a Type 2 fireworks permit.
- Your proposed display must meet an "approved purpose" and minimum safety standards (explained in each application form).
- A person who is not happy by a decision made by the Secretary, including the issuing of a fireworks display permit, may apply to the Magistrate's Court (Administrative Appeals Division) for a review of that decision. See the Magistrate's Court website for information about this review process.
Submit your application form at a Service Tasmania Shop at least 21 days before your proposed display date.
Important Information For ‘TYPE 2’ Firework permit applicants
Your application is likely to be refused if safety and administrative requirements of the Explosives legislation cannot be met. Including the following:
- unable to meet minimum ‘separation distances’
- significant fire risk, particularly during summer season
- significant risk to native animals in a sanctuary or conservation area (within 5 km)
- risk to livestock in semi-rural areas with a concentration of private horse ownership, such as: Orielton, Acton Park, Sandford, Devon Hills, Dodges Ferry and Carlton
- close proximity to animal kennels (within 1 km)
- multiple applications for same date and location
- proposed event is not an ‘approved purpose’
- landowner consent has not been obtained
- previous non-compliance with permit conditions
- objections from Tasmania Fire Service, Tasmania Police or relevant Local Council
- application not lodged at least 21 days before the date of the proposed display
- falsified and/or incomplete information
The fee is non-refundable for refused applications.
Before making an application, you should be aware of your display site surroundings and communicate with neighbouring property owners to identify any specific risks.
If you are unsure of whether your application might be refused, you can contact WorkSafe Tasmania on 1300 366 322 prior to making application. However it must be lodged at least 21 days before the intended display date.
For a person to make application for a fireworks display permit to hold a Type 2 fireworks display
ID: GF015 | Fee: $76.50 | Form & fee valid to: 30/06/2018
For a person to make application for a fireworks display permit to hold a Type 3 fireworks display (use of Type 3 fireworks is restricted to pyrotechnicians)
ID: GF016 | Fee: $153.00 | Form & fee valid to: 30/06/2018
For a person to make application for a fireworks display permit to hold a Theatrical Fire Works display (use of theatrical fireworks is restricted to pyrotechnicians)
ID: GF135 | Fee: $76.50 | Form & fee valid to: 30/06/2018