Changes to Tasmania's workers compensation laws came into effect 1 January 2018. Read how these effect you.


You must either:

  • take out a workers compensation insurance policy with a licensed insurer to cover you for workers compensation claims made by your workers, or
  • apply to the WorkCover Tasmania Board and be granted a permit to self insure against workers compensation claims made by your workers. (Usually large businesses)

Licensed insurers information which includes a list of licensed insurers in Tasmania.

Information on self insurers

The claims process

Step 1

If the incident is reportable to WorkSafe Tasmania, call us on:

1300 366 322 (inside Tasmania) or

03 6166 4600 (outside Tasmania)

Incident notification information

* Notify your insurer within 3 days.

Step 2

Give your worker a Notice of Right to Make a Workers Compensation Claim. This can be downloaded below or you can get a copy from your insurer.

You must give this form to your worker within 14 days of them telling you about their injury.

Step 3

If your worker asks for a claim form, you must supply it (available from your insurer) and not obstruct their claim.

Once your worker has given you their claim form and workers compensation medical certificate, tell your insurer. This must be done within 3 working days.

Step 4

Complete the employer's section and send the workers compensation medical certificate and claim form to your insurer within 5 working days.

You must start making payments to the worker. See Making payments and expenses.

Step 5

Notify the worker of the status of their claim within 28 working days.

If a decision has not been made whether or not to accept the claim, you must advise the workers of the reason for this and the steps you are taking to progress a decision.

What happens next

The insurer will tell you and your worker that they've received the claim, within 3 days.

They will also give you and your worker information about your rights, roles and responsibilities during the workers compensation process.

Continue to promptly forward any medical certificates and invoices to your insurer.

Making payments and expenses

Weekly payments are to be paid regardless of whether you dispute liability for the claim. They are sometimes called without prejudice payments, because the fact you make these payments cannot be used against you as an admission of liability. If you believe liability should be disputed you should discuss this with your insurer.

Weekly payments

Once you receive a worker's claim for compensation, you must start making weekly payments of compensation if they have been certified as totally or partially incapacitated for work. There are 2 options for this:

Option 1:

where the worker's first pay day is within 14 days of lodging their claim, weekly payments must start on this pay day (if it is not reasonably practicable to do this, payment must be made no later than 14 days after you received the claim)

Option 2:

where the worker's first pay day is more than 14 days after lodging their claim, weekly payments must start on this pay day (this usually happens where workers are paid monthly).

If the worker lodged their claim:

  • within 14 days of their injury, weekly payments must be paid from the date of injury
  • more than 14 days after their injury, they are only entitled to be back paid weekly payments to 14 days before the date they lodged their claim.

Guidance on calculating weekly payments can be found in the Workers Compensation Handbook: The Basics that can be downloaded from the Workers Compensation Guides page.

Medical expenses

You must also pay for reasonable medical and associated expenses while you are deciding whether or not to accept liability. These payments are initially limited to a maximum of $5,000 until the claim is accepted or a dispute is heard and resolved.

You are then liable for the cost of all reasonable expenses the injured worker necessarily incurs for:

  • medical services
  • hospital services
  • household services, for the proper running and maintenance of the worker's home (such as cleaning, laundry and gardening)
  • nursing services
  • constant attendant services, including the constant or regular personal attendance on the worker provided by someone who is not a member of the worker's family (for example, to shower, dress or feed the worker)
  • rehabilitation services
  • ambulance services.

If you believe a claimed expense is not reasonable or necessary you should discuss this with your insurer.

Medical accounts

Your worker must give you any account for a medical or other expense within 7 days.

Once you receive the account, you must forward it to your insurer within 7 days.

An account must be paid within 28 days of receiving it. If you do not think the account should be paid, discuss it with your insurer.

Travelling expenses

You are also liable to pay reasonable expenses for the worker to travel to any medical, hospital or rehabilitation service or to attend any medical examination organised by you.

The amount payable for using a private vehicle is calculated with the occasional user rates set out in the Tasmanian State Service Award under Public Sector Awards.

Annual leave accrual

The question of whether a worker continues to accrue leave while they are not working and are receiving workers compensation benefits is a complex one, and the answer has historically differed depending on the state or territory they work in.

The Tasmanian Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 does not deal with the accrual of leave.

In determining if a worker can accrue leave, employers should  check the conditions of the applicable award or agreement and/or the Fair Work Ombudsman: call 13 13 94 or go to its website.

Assistance for employers

For assistance with workers compensation and support.


Our Helpline inspectors are your first point of contact when you call WorkSafe Tasmania. They can answer your questions about workers compensation, or refer you to another service. Call them on

  • 1300 366 322 (within Tasmania) or
  • (03) 6166 4600 (outside Tasmania)

Your insurer

Your insurer will be able to provide you with information and support.


Workers Compensation Guides