To help protect quad bike users, the Australian Government introduced a mandatory safety standard under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL): the Consumer Goods (Quad Bikes) Safety Standard 2019 (external link).
The standard is introduced in two stages:
- The first stage of requirements for all quad bikes will become mandatory in less than two months’ time on 11 October 2020.
- The second stage places additional requirements for general use quad bikes (commonly known as utility quad bikes) supplied from 11 October 2021.
The standard does not apply to second-hand quad bikes other than those second-hand quad bikes that are imported into Australia.
Stage 1: 11 October 2020
The standard requires all new and imported second-hand quad bikes to:
- have a hang a tag on the quad bike that allows you to compare the safety of models prior to purchase
- have a durable warning label affixed to the quad bike that warns the user of the quad bike of the risk of rollover
- include, in the owner’s manual, information on the risk of rollover, and
- meet certain requirements in the US or European standards for quad bikes and have a spark arrestor that conforms to the US or Australian standards.
Stage 2: 11 October 2021
The standard requires new and imported second-hand general use quad bikes to:
- have an operator protection device (OPD) fitted or integrated into its design to help protect riders from the risk of serious injury or fatality as a result of being crushed or pinned in the event of a rollover by holding the quad bike off the ground, and
- meet minimum stability requirements for lateral, rearward and forward static stability.
In preparation for the first stage of requirements, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has released two videos to help consumers and quad bike suppliers understand what changes they can expect come 11 October 2020 and 2021.
This video provides consumers a high level overview of the standard and highlights the most important components, including hang tags and the operator protection device.
This video focuses on the requirements for businesses supplying quad bikes to consumers.