Construction training (white card)

To work in the construction industry you must have an induction card, also known as a White Card. This is relevant whether you are a:

  • person with control of construction projects. eg principal contractor, project manager, main contractor, builder, employer, self-employed person
  • person with control of construction work. eg employer, self-employed person, principal contractor, main contractor, sub-contractor
  • person carrying out work on a construction site. eg employee, contractor, labour-hire worker. A person who has successfully completed general construction induction training in this state may apply for a general construction induction card

You can only get a construction induction card by:

  • successfully completing construction induction training in Tasmania, AND
  • lodging an application at Service Tasmania (see 'Applying for your card' below)

A Person Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU) must ensure general construction induction training is provided to any worker engaged by the person carrying out the construction work.

Registered training organisations (RTOs)

National training unit Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry (CPCCWHS1001).

This unit must be undertaken with a Registered Training Organisation. These can be found on the Skills Training website.


The following people don't have to do construction induction training:

  • visitors to a construction site who are accompanied by a person who has received the induction training, and
  • people temporarily at a construction site to deliver plant, supplies, material or services where a risk assessment indicates that any risks to them can be controlled through other measures (that is, implementing visitor management plans, restricted access to low-risk areas, visitor sign-in/out procedures and so on).