Review of asbestos compensation laws
The independent review of the Asbestos-Related Diseases (Occupational Exposure) Compensation Act 2011 is now completed.
The review was conducted by Michael Stevens and overseen by the WorkCover Tasmania Board, on behalf of the Tasmanian Government. It was required under Section 187 of the Act.
The Board has now provided the Minister, the Hon Guy Barnett MP, with the final report.
WorkSafe Tasmania is currently evaluating recommendations from the review for implementation.
Amongst other things, the review assessed the extent the Act provides for:
- fair and appropriate compensation, and the payment of certain expenses, for people who have contracted asbestos-related diseases in the course of their employment as workers in Tasmania
- the prompt and effective resolution of applications and payment of expenses
- certain judgements and agreements about someone contracting asbestos-related diseases in the course of their employment.
It also examined the asbestos compensation scheme’s:
- ongoing viability and sustainability
- performance in terms of entitlements, premiums and coverage.