Health and Safety Representatives Training
It is not mandatory for HSRs to be trained.
However, HSRs should be encouraged to take up their training entitlement to provide them with the skills and knowledge to perform their role effectively.
HSRs can issue PINs and direct work to cease only if they have been trained.
Untrained HSRs can perform all other functions.
The entitlement of HSRs to undertake a course of training are outlined in the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (WHS Act).
The WHS Act provides that HSR training must be provided through a course of training that is approved by WorkSafe.
In considering an application for approval to conduct HSR training, WorkSafe may have regard to all relevant matters including:
- the content and quality of the curriculum, including its relevance to the functions and powers of a HSR
- the capability and capacity of the applicant to be a provider of training
- the qualifications, knowledge and experience of the person who is to provide the course
An applicant for approval to provide HSR training may be an organisation, a company or a sole trader.
The approval process
An application must include the proposed course content and be made to WorkSafe for approval to deliver the following HSR training:
- initial HSR training which must be a minimum of 35 hours face-to-face training over a period of five days, and/or
- refresher HSR training which must be a minimum of seven hours face-to-face training over a period of one day
- gap training must be a minimum of one day which will enable the HSR to gain the additional powers for this role.
Note: Approval to deliver Refresher HSR training can only be sought by providers where previously approved to deliver the Initial HSR training.
Period of approval
Approval will be granted for a period of up to five years and will be subject to the approved provider continuing to satisfy all the conditions of approval including trainer qualifications and course requirements.
For a copy of the How to Become an Approved Provider of Health and Safety Representative Training contact Helpline on 1300 366 322.