Poppy Advisory and Control Board
The Poppy Advisory and Control Board's role is to:
- process applications for licences and advise the Minister for Health on those applications
- advise on matters relating to the cultivation, production and transport of poppies and poppy material
- collect and collate statistical information and prepare reports
- liaise with the Australian Government to fulfil Australia's obligations under the International Drug Conventions (including the United Nations Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs)
- oversee security matters for Tasmanian crops.
Mr Michael Stevens, Chair
Jim Galloway, representing the Secretary of the Department responsible for the Public Health Act 1997
Detective Inspector Jason Elmer, representing the Commissioner of Police
Dr Lloyd Klumpp, representing the Secretary of the Department responsible for the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Tasmania) Act 1994.
The Board is supported by WorkSafe Tasmania staff.
This is included in Chapter 7 of the Department of Justice Annual Report 2013-14 (PDF, 163 KB, 9 pages).