The Shop Trading Hours Act 1984 regulates the trading hours of certain retail shops, and covers related matters.
This Act does not cover the trading hours of:
- service stations
- real estate or auction houses
- the sale of motor vehicles
- car yards or dealers advertising or exposing motor vehicles for sale
- the sale of replacement parts necessary for essential repairs to motor vehicles
- pubs, night clubs and hotels where alcohol is the main good sold
- restaurants and cafes whose ‘principal business’ is providing meals or cooked food
Factors like profits, resources and assets may need to be considered when determining a ‘principal business’.