About WorkSafe Tasmania: Service Charter
Who we are
WorkSafe Tasmania is a division of the Department of Justice.
WorkSafe Tasmania focusses on improving workplace safety, health and return to work.
This is achieved by:
- investigating workplace incidents
- auditing workplaces for compliance with legislation
- promoting safer and healthier workplaces and practices through practical guidance and education
- promoting prompt and effective return to work through practical guidance and education
- processing occupational licences, and more.
This supports the Department of Justice's aim of achieving a fair, just and safe Tasmania.
WorkSafe Tasmania also has a strong relationship with the WorkCover Tasmania Board, helping the Board fulfil its functions in injury management, work health and safety, and workers compensation.
WorkSafe Tasmania administers the laws that regulate:
- work health and safety
- dangerous goods, security-sensitive dangerous substances, and explosives
- mines safety
- workers compensation and return to work
- asbestos compensation
- public sector industrial relations, long service leave, shop trading hours and statutory holidays.
Our strategic objectives
WorkSafe Tasmania has a five-year Strategic Plan with tangible goals for:
- reducing workplace death, injury and disease
- targeting high-consequence activities and industries
- being a responsive regulator
- engaging with the community to make workplace safety an important issue, and
- ensuring our compensation schemes are fair and sustainable for those who suffer a work-related injury or illness.
Read more about The Strategic Plan (PDF, 18 Pages, 550.20KB) for details all of WorkSafe's strategic objectives and key performance indicators.
For all Tasmanian workplaces to be free of death, injury and disease.
For all Tasmanians to be safe and healthy at work, and if injured to be supported financially and systematically to achieve, wherever possible, full physical and mental recovery and return to work as speedily as possible.
Our values describe the things that are important to us and they outline the sort of organisation we aspire to be. We will make this a reality by modelling the behaviours below in all our interactions with colleagues, clients and stakeholders.
We treat everyone with respect, integrity and equality.
Collaboration and leadership
We work constructively with colleagues and stakeholders to identify our priorities and achieve our objectives.
Openness and transparency
We communicate clearly and make decisions fairly.
We seek opportunities for growth — for our people and our organisation.
We are committed to our mission and to achieving outstanding results for the Tasmanian community.
Our key messages
- Safety is good business.
- You may be prosecuted, if you don't provide a safe workplace.
- You have a right to be safe at work.
- You have a responsibility to follow safe work practices.
- Workplace safety is about you and looking after your work mates.
- WorkSafe Tasmania helps keep Tasmanian workplaces and workers safe.
- WorkSafe Tasmania aims to inform Tasmanians, provide assistance and reduce the number of workplace accidents in the State.
- Call 1300 366 322 (within Tasmania) for free advice, resources and assistance on workplace safety.
WorkSafe Tasmania's key stakeholders include:
- industry and employer associations, including the Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- unions, including Unions Tasmania
- the WorkCover Tasmania Board.